Finding Hidden or "Non-Present" Devices in Windows Device Manager
In Windows Device Manager, even enabling Show hidden devices won’t show you the devices which were once connected to your server. This is especially relevant during server model changes, and in physical to virtual (P2V) and virtual to virtual (V2V) migrations, for instance from Hyper-V to VMware for instance.
To work around this behavior and display those hidden devices when you click ‘Show hidden devices’:
- Open up a Command Prompt in Administrator Mode
- At the command prompt, type the following two commands, pressing ENTER after each:
- Click Show hidden devices on the View menu in Device Manager
- The devices that are no longer present should now show slightly greyed out
- Right-click on each and select remove